On September 24, 2015, by the 90th birthday of Kaliningrad Sea Commercial Port director (1971-1996), Honorary citizen of Kaliningrad, Arkadiy Evgenievich Mikhailov, a ceremonial unveiling of the memorial plate on the building of Port Authority took place.
Port veterans, colleagues, friends and relatives honoured the memory of the outstanding director. A lot of good memories and warm words were remembered on that day in honor of A.E.Mikhailov.
Arkadiy Evgenievich joined the port in 1951, after graduating from Leningrad maritime academy. After having taken every step of career ladder, he was appointed to the position of the Head of Kaliningrad Sea Commercial Port in 1971. A.E.Mikhailov recreated, built and actively developed the port. Under his management, thanks to his knowledge, skill and the highest level of competence, the port turned into one of the best sea ports in Soviet Union.
During the management by Arkadiy Evgenievich line shipping was developing very actively, new port capacities were built. During a relatively small time period the following port capacities were constructed: “Ro-Ro” ship type and ferry reception complex, passengers pavilion, liquid cargo terminal, several new covered warehouses, first stage of container terminal, mineral fertilizers bulk terminal. Moreover, 930 apartments were built for port staff. Thanks to Arkadiy Evgenievich initiative, the Seaman Cultural Center was created on the ruins of Koenigsberg stock market building, which has been fully maintained by means of the commercial port for 20 years.
A recreation center for 100 places for port staff was built in Svetlogorsk. An orphanage “Hope” (“Nadezhda”) was created thanks to A.E.Mikhailov.
Arkadiy Evgenievich was a strict, but just manager and he always took good care of his staff. He is the example for port workers and his traditions and principles are still and will the core stone of port development.